Parsley is more than garnishing
How do you use parsley in the kitchen? As a garnish or do you cook it in the soup? As a garnish, parsley is often placed on the side of the plate without mercy. Sin! In this article we show you how healthy parsley is and how you can use this medicinal herb in the kitchen with quick, practical tips and dishes.
What is parsley?
Before you start using more parsley in your daily dishes, you would probably want to get some background information about this herb, right?
Three types of parsley
There are three types of parsley that are used differently in the kitchen. Below you will find an overview:
- Curly parsley is often used as a garnish
- Leaf parsley is often co-cooked in dishes
- Root parsley is a root vegetable that is mainly used in soups and casseroles
Why eat parsley? Read the 8 benefits here!
- Parsley supports digestion
In addition, parsley has an inhibiting effect on the production of stomach acid and reduces the risk of stomach ulcers.
- Parsley works out moisture
For hundreds of years, parsley has been used to treat kidney stones, inflammation of the urethra and edema .
- Parsley has an anti-inflammatory effect
The essential oil in parsley has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Parsley strengthens the blood vessels
Parsley contains a lot of folic acid, which reduces the production of protein that damages blood vessels.
- Parsley against acne
With skin problems, your liver can not effectively remove all toxins. Parsley helps the liver with this.
- Parsley has a high vitamin C content
With fresh parsley, most vitamin C is retained. Vitamin C is important for good resistance, when forming connective tissue and the absorption of iron.
- Parsley indirectly causes low blood pressure
When your blood pressure is high, use less salt. Parsley is just like garlic, chives, rosemary and oregano as a salt substitute with a delicious taste.
- Parsley suppresses an overstrained immune system
Research has shown that parsley strengthens the immune system. It appears to slow down the activity of macrophages. Macrophages are cells that encircle and break down foreign particles.
Pregnant women pay attention! Parsley contains folic acid which is very healthy for pregnant women. However, when eaten too much, this can cause contractions.
How do you use parsley in the kitchen?
Enough background information, let us see how you can use this healthy herb in your kitchen?
Recipe 1: Curly parsley smoothie
- Half a bunch of finely chopped curly parsley
- 1 avocado
- 4 honey tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- Pepper and sea salt
- Combine all ingredients and puree with a blender.
Recipe 2: Grilled carrot parsley
- 6 pieces of root parsley, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Place the carrot halves on aluminum foil or on a baking tray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the honey, paprika and dill.
- Mix the sauce well and pour it over the carrot halves.
- Grill for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe 3: Couscous salad with leaf parsley
- Finely chopped 3 tablespoons of fresh leaf parsley
- 6 cocktail tomatoes
- 6 fresh dates
- 1 pack of couscous à 275 gr
- 1 tablespoon of ras el hanout
- 1 orange juice + zest
- 50 grams of peeled pistachio nuts or brown almonds
- 1 pack of haloumi
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 75 grams of lamb's lettuce and / or arugula
- Cut the cocktail tomatoes in four. Scoop the seeds with moisture into a sieve. Place the sieve on a bowl and rub the liquid with a spoon through the sieve. Cut the wedges of tomato into small cubes. Cut the dates open and remove the seeds. Cut them into thin strips.
- Transfer the couscous to a dish and stir in the ras el hanout, parsley, diced tomatoes, dates, orange zest and salt to taste. Add the orange juice and the tomato juice then pour just enough boiling water to cover couscous. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Chop the pistachio nuts or almonds coarsely. Cut the haloumi into 12 slices and fry in a pan with olive oil in 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Spread the lamb's lettuce and / or arugula over 4 plates and put the couscous salad in the middle. Put the haloumi slices on top and sprinkle the nuts over them.
Freeze fresh parsley.